Hermes - Twilly d'Hermes

Confession:  I purchased this fragrance because it reminded me of Mr. Potato Head wearing a jaunty Hermes scarf.  In my mind, it was a safe blind buy because at the very least I knew I would be amused by the bottle every time I set eyes on it.  The fact that the primary notes were ones I generally like didn’t hurt either.  Added bonus for me is the fact that I had the opportunity to use “jaunty” in a sentence; not something I often do. 

Twilly opens with an extremely bold ginger note.  The ginger is spicy yet playful.  The tuberose and sandalwood sit in the background.   After about an hour, the ginger steps back ever so slightly and the tuberose seems to gain some ground.  The tuberose is fresh and bright.  The sandalwood remains to round out the fragrance and temper the sharpness of the ginger and the tuberose.  Other than the initial hour of wear where the ginger is very strong and prominent over the other notes, the wear for Twilly remains fairly linear. 

"It is with young women in mind, by observing their lives, that I created Twilly d’Hermès. Free, bold, connected, mischievous and irreverent, they turn expectation on its head, swim against the tide, impose their own rhythm, invent a brand new tempo."  Christine Nagel

 I’ve thought about Nagel’s quote.  Twilly does have a youthful spirit and is indeed bold and mischievous.  We are to take the irreverence from the “unexpected combination” of the notes that comprise this fragrance.  Yet it does not feel groundbreaking.

Is Twilly lackluster?  Perhaps if you are looking for a fragrance that has complexity with development.  For me, I am not hampered by always needing my fragrances to unravel and reveal new notes and nuances.  I can appreciate a fragrance for its simplicity.  And I do enjoy Twilly and its joie de vie


Notes: ginger, tuberose, sandalwood


Comments