Charlotte Tilbury – Scent of a Dream Perfume

Scent of a Dream (“Dream”) is a chypre floral fragrance released by the iconic Charlotte Tilbury brand in 2016.  The fragrance launched with the face of the equally iconic Kate Moss.  The scent is comprised of notes of scented oils from the Ibiza markets, where Tilbury hails from.

So, confession - I would not have bought this fragrance.  Dream contains the hallmark notes of rose, jasmine, patchouli, and bergamot which are often components of a chypre floral. Chypre Florals are one of my least favorite categories of fragrance, so while I am a fan of the cosmetic line, I most likely would have skipped on the fragrance.  Fortunately for me, during the recent Black Friday sales, Charlotte Tilbury included this fragrance as a GWP.  I am so pleased she did.

Dream opens as a bright, somewhat spicy, fruity note.  The fruit notes are balanced but on me, the peach speaks the loudest.  There is a sunny, ripe feel to the accord that is just a touch mysterious with the addition of the spice notes.

Quite quickly, the scent develops with a burst of florals.  Tuberose, jasmine, and magnolia are most prominent to my nose.  I do not get any screechiness that can often be found in tuberose or jasmine fragrances.   There is a headiness to the floral bouquet that if over-sprayed could be overwhelming, but in a light spray is indeed intoxicating. 

As the fragrance warms on the skin and into the drydown, patchouli comes forward in quite a bold way.  There is a slightly resinous sweetness that emanates from the base.  A raw, earthy, woody, musk rises up and joins the fruity floral accord.  The coupling is reminiscent of vintage fragrances.
The bottle design of Dream accurately captures what in my mind’s eye easily feels at home on a vanity during the heyday of Old Hollywood.  I can see it sitting next to an elegant powder compact and cake mascara while a string of pearls glistens, waiting to caress the starlet’s neck.  For me, this is the “dream” the fragrance captures.

Scent of a Dream wears on me with moderate projection for roughly 9 – 10 hours.

Notes:
Top Notes: lemon, peach, mandarin, bergamot, saffron, black pepper
Middle Notes: tuberose, violet, jasmine, frankincense, patchouli, incense, muguet, orange flower, rose oil, tea rose, green ivy, magnolia
Base Notes: ambroxan, hedione, ISO-E Super molecules, poinciana tree (Delonix regia - known as "fire tree"), Precious Woods, cistus, amber, castoreum, musk

Perfumer: Francois Robert

Photo Credit: Charlotte Tilbury

Comments