Parfums de Marly: Sedbury
Have you ever been excited about receiving unknown samples with your fragrance purchase? And have you ever looked at one of those "mystery" samples and turned into a toddler inside your head? Ok, so yes, I'm admitting it. That's exactly what happened when I realized I received this sample. I'm talking full bore toddler. Whining inside my head - "But I hate chypre florals"... Now rolling on the floor and thrashing about..."Lavender? No, no, no, no, no!" Sigh. But being the good open minded sport that I am (LOL), I decided to give Sedbury a try anyway.
(I want to note here that Sedbury is named after the eighteenth century thoroughbred horse of the same name. Sedbury was said to have been, "described as a horse of exquisite beauty, fine shape and form, Sedbury was said to be the best of his size in his day." I admit to find it a little baffling that a fragrance described as being "a decidedly floral, feminine fragrance" would be named after a stallion. But that's a conversation for another day.)
Sedbury wears on me as a mildly herbal white floral with a tuberose and jasmine emphasis. Although the tuberose and jasmine seem to be the more pronounced florals, they are almost thin and light - if you can imagine a see through note in fragrance. I only get very light touches of the mandarin, bergamot, and lavender. The fragrance has a slight sweetness and creaminess to it from the vanilla bean and sandalwood. As it wears, the base notes come out and yet they don't. You can feel their presence ghosting the juice but never in such a way that you would say - oh yes that's amber or oh yes that's patchouli. Sedbury is a pretty wearable fragrance that even chypre floral haters (yup I said it again) can feel comfortable wearing. It's a light and pretty fragrance.
"Sedbury is a decidedly floral, feminine fragrance inspired by the majestic elegance of its historical namesake.

Top notes: mandarin, bergamot, clary sage, lavender
Heart notes: tuberose, jasmine, iris
Base notes: vanilla bean, sandalwood, amber, benzoin, patchouli, vetiver"


Comments