Dame Perfumery - Dark Horse

Have you ever sampled a fragrance and thought to yourself, “What in the world has taken me so long to try this, it’s fantastic?”  Well, that was literally my very first thought the moment I got my first whiff of Dark Horse.  Webster’s Dictionary define dark horse as “a usually little known contender (such as a racehorse) that makes an unexpectedly good showing”.  In the case of this fragrance, the name fits perfectly for me.

Dark Horse is a floral woody musk, which for me tends to be a category of fragrance I tend to enjoy.  It opens with a cinnamon spiced bergamot with a light lemon twist.  The spice is tempered so it brings out the very best in the other two notes; the bergamot is the more predominant.  In the development of this juice the floral notes are enhanced with jasmine, carnation, and rose.  The jasmine seems to take a front seat for me with the carnation and rose being more subtle.  A gorgeous clove meets the cinnamon adding to the spiciness.  Guaiac wood is another star in this fragrance for me.  Here, the guaiac is a rich rosy, honey-tinged woody note.  There is just enough sweetness between the guaiac and the vanilla to bring balance to the spices.  A light vetiver bringing a touch of earthiness while musk seems to tie all of the notes together.  In this way, Dark Horse is a beautifully rounded fragrance.  It can easily be worn by a man or a woman in any situation. 

Dark Horse wears as a complex woody spicy floral on me for roughly 9 hours with moderate projection.

Notes: bergamot, lemon, cinnamon, jasmine, carnation, rose, clove, guaiac wood, vetiver, vanilla, musk

Perfumer: Jeffrey Dame


* I’d like to thank Jeffrey Dame for including a sample of this fragrance with one of my orders!

CRUELTY FREE


Comments