January Scent Project - Treebuoy Parfum Oil

When I heard that perfumer John Biebel had added another fragrance to his lineup, it piqued my interest.  Currently available as an exclusive with Avé Parfum and later available on the January Scent Project website, Treebuoy (2018) is an oriental woody fragrance offering.

It’s no secret that I am a fan of Biebel as a perfumer.  An artist in addition to a perfumer, his approach to fragrance is that of an artist (this is not to say that I don’t respect perfumery as an art form in itself).  It’s one thing to create a beautiful fragrance and quite another to create a beautiful fragrance which also tells a story or shares a journey or perspective; I find Biebel’s scents to fall into the second category.

With Treebuoy, Biebel tells us the story of a dense conifer forest.  Like any good storyteller, Biebel makes us a part of the story; this is a personal journey.  I get the rich balsam fir with it’s deep, rich balsamic, somewhat turpenic twists.  The trees are thick and green.  As I walk deeper into the woods, the headiness of the towering growth surrounds me.  There is a warm spiciness courtesy of cardamom and anise; both of which suggest the heartbeat of life
.
As I continue my journey, a soft floral note of geranium blossoms against the stately trees.  While the contrast is present it feels like a comfortable part of the journey.  Have I become so enraptured by the soaring majesty I’ve forgotten to notice the hidden gems?   The answer begins to fill my head as the fragrance starts its drydown.  A stunning cedar is wrapped with a softly tinged vanilla amber musk.  The notes feel as if the forest has taken you up in its arms and lovingly embraced you.

Treebuoy wears on me for roughly 9 hours with moderate to soft projection.

Notes: Balsam fir, green mandarin, benzoin, cardamom, anise, geranium, musk, amber, Himalayan cedar

Perfumer: John Biebel

CRUELTY FREE
VEGAN



Comments